IRVINE, Calif. (July 11, 2019) – Irvine Company Office Properties’ 5 Park Plaza at Jamboree Center has been awarded The Outstanding Building of the Year (TOBY) International Award in the Earth Category from the Building Owners and Managers Association of Orange County (BOMA/Orange County), the most prestigious and comprehensive recognition of its kind in the commercial real estate industry.
“It’s truly an honor to receive such a significant and distinguished award for 5 Park Plaza,” said Tom Greubel, vice president, leasing, Irvine Company Office Properties. “This honor exemplifies how our properties are managed to the highest standard of excellence and demonstrates our teams’ exceptional capabilities in sustainability, innovation and commitment to delivering unparalleled workplace experiences.”
The BOMA Earth award is presented only to buildings demonstrating the very highest standards in energy efficiency and green operations. 5 Park Plaza features more than 409,000 square feet of premium workspace that since 2010 has been Certified LEED Gold by U.S. Green Building Council. Since 2008, the property has been ENERGY STAR LABELED by U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
The TOBY Earth award reflects the high-rise workplace community’s many energy efficiencies and conservation-oriented programs and achievements. Among them:
- Electricity conservation, including the property’s status as a Hybrid Electric Building, which shaves demand load by up to 25 percent and reduces 2,800 metric tons of carbon emissions
- LED lighting upgrades in the building and garage that feature daylighting and occupancy sensors that have reduced wattage from 32 to 15 watts, resulting in an energy cost savings of $114,000
- Elevator modernization that optimizes passenger efficiencies and sends 40 percent of elevator power back to the building grid
- A “cool roof” and a recent chiller retrofit that is 20 percent more efficient than the previous unit
- Green-purchasing policies that require the use of water-soluble cleaners, citrus-based degreasers and environmentally friendly refrigerant
- Water conservation that relies on reclaimed water for all landscaping and uses drip irrigation technology and smart controllers
- Comprehensive recycling programs that encompass a wide range of materials, including organic waste, lamps and batteries; this effort also features a comprehensive customer education program
- Customer interiors featuring low VOC paint and carpet, and contemporary and efficient workspace layouts
In addition, 5 Park Plaza includes a curated set of healthy lifestyle amenities including onsite dining, an exclusive state-of-the-art fitness center, sports court, putting green, bike share, firepits and a mobile wellness app. The workplace community also features The Commons, a dynamic gathering area featuring open-air outdoor spaces that bring the workplace community together in a collaborative, creative, inspiring and relaxed way.
The TOBY Awards are the commercial real estate industry’s highest recognition honoring excellence in commercial building management and operations in specific categories of building size or type. To win an International TOBY Award, a property first must win both local and regional competitions. Judging is based on community impact, tenant and employee relations programs, energy management systems, accessibility, emergency evacuation procedures, building personnel training programs and overall quality indicators.
Jamboree Center is a sought-after destination for simplified commuting and easy business travel as its central location is off the 405 freeway in Orange County’s Airport Area.
About Irvine Company Office Properties
As a long-term owner who continuously reinvests in its properties and services, Irvine Company has evolved the traditional office to something much more: vibrant workplace communities. A place where collaboration is encouraged, and creativity is enabled to elevate business success. The company serves more than 3,000 customers in 50 million square feet of premier workplace communities in Orange County, Los Angeles, Silicon Valley and San Diego, as well as iconic trophy towers in Chicago and New York. Harmony